Macclesfield Town 0-2 Salford City


Macclesfield Town were comfortably beaten by two goals to nil at home to Salford City on Saturday afternoon, in the pair’s first ever meeting in the football league.

First-half strikes from Ash Hunter and Richie Towell meant that Macc lost for the fourth time in five games.

“I’m obviously very disappointed to lose but Salford are also a really tough side to beat,” said Macclesfield manager Mark Kennedy.

“I really fancied us in the second half, and I thought that if we could get a goal, we’d change the dimensions of the game.

“I thought we fizzled out in the period which really disappointed me because we made several changes, but it didn’t work.”

The visitors dominated the opening 45 minutes, scoring two goals and perhaps feeling like they should have had more.

Although, it did take the visitors half an hour to break the deadlock, doing so through a spectacular goal from Hunter.

His high cross looped over Jonathan Mitchell’s head and flew into the top corner, after scraping the crossbar on the way in.

Seven minutes later, City doubled their lead courtesy of Towell, whose low shot was too powerful for Mitchell.

However, the Macclesfield keeper kept his side in it before the break, saving from Hunter and Towell to prevent the game from being put to bed.

Town tried to respond following the interval and went close through Nathan Cameron’s header in the 53rd minute.

Then, on the hour mark, Salford’s Oscar Threlkeld almost headed past his own keeper from a fizzed Joe Ironside cross as the Silkmen put the pressure on.

Cameron went close again with ten minutes of the match to go, when his header was blocked off the line from Towell.

While, James Wilson almost made things worse for the hosts but his shot was deflected wide of the target.

Ironside nearly managed a consolation goal for the hosts with two minutes remaining, when his volley went just past the post.

But, that was the last chance of the encounter, meaning the Silkmen stay 23rd in the table while Salford remain 10th.

Ammies manager Graham Alexander said: “I thought we controlled large parts of the game, and tried to get the ball down as often as possible.”

“Both teams committed to the game but we played some real good stuff, scored two excellent goals and kept a clean sheet, so it was a very good away performance today.”

Written by Richard Phelps


About Author

Comments are closed.