Cheshire Constabulary has changed its screening process for new recruits after it emerged former PC Ian Naude was a known suspect to Staffordshire Police before he raped a 13-year-old girl in Crewe.
Naude, 30, was invited to join the Cheshire force in April 2017.
Liverpool Crown Court heard he went on to rape a 13-year-old girl just a few months later, one of 38 charges he has been convicted of.
He was due to start his role as student police officer for Cheshire in January 2017, but his application was on hold pending the outcome of a previous rape allegation by Staffordshire Police.
No further action was taken, and the decision was made by the vetting department to continue with the recruitment process.
The parents of a thirteen-year-old girl then raised concerns to Cheshire Police regarding Naude’s behaviour on 3rd November 2017.
He was arrested the following day and immediately suspended from duty.
Liverpool Crown Court heard that Naude had driven the teenager to a secluded wasteland. There he went on to commit sexual assault, rape and film part of the ordeal using his mobile phone.
The rape occurred just 24 hours after Naude, who was on-duty at the time, was called to the home of the 13-year-old on October 24 2017, regarding a domestic incident which did not directly involve the teenager.
In the hours after encountering the girl, he went on to groom her. He encouraged her to send indecent images of herself, after sending indecent images himself.
Naude then went back to the teenager’s home where he picked her up in his car.
Cheshire’s Acting Chief Constable, Janette McCormick said: “Unfortunately, as the investigation into Ian Naude unfolded, it became clear that he did not join Cheshire Constabulary because he wanted to serve the public as a police officer – he joined because it gave him a position of authority with access to young, vulnerable girls.”
The original vetting process of Naude was cleared by the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).
However, Cheshire Constabulary has now made amendments to its vetting policy.
Asst Chief Cons McCormick added: “If there is a delay in the recruitment process of more than three months, once a person has been vetted, the force will carry out further checks on the national police systems.
“Furthermore, checks on the national police systems and complaints records of all officers who are reaching the completion of their probation period of two years are now undertaken.
“All training of new staff has been reviewed with additional inputs on conduct and awareness of recognising the triggers of what constitutes inappropriate behaviour as well as the internal reporting channels available.”
Naude was found guilty of 38 offences in total. He pleaded guilty to 31 charges related to 9 victims in total aged between 12 and 19.
The court heard that during the investigation, electronic devices belonging to Naude had been seized.
The devices contained a large collection of indecent images and videos of children. Naude also used fake social media accounts which he used to seek out young girls.
Detective Chief Superintendent Aaron Duggan said: “It was Naude’s job to protect the most vulnerable from harm.
“Instead he did the opposite and abused his position as a student police constable.”