Fire Investigation finds heater to blame for the death of mother and son

0

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service has concluded its investigation today (25th September) following a Hanley flat fire that killed a mother and her son.

The fatal fire, on 1 October last year, occurred in Zainab Adam’s ground floor flat. 36-year-old Adam and her six-year-old son, Tafaoul Fadul, died in hospital shortly after.

A baby also suffered life-changing injuries and remained in hospital for some time. They have since been released in a stable condition.

Following the incident in Ringland Close, Hanley, a Fire Investigation found the accidental fire was started when clothes were left near an electric storage heater.

However, there was insufficient evidence to prove that an offence had been committed under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.

Glynn Luznyj, Director of Prevent and Protect, said: “During this investigation we thoroughly explored avenues but the circumstances of the incident, including the building’s history, meant we were unable to identify to the standard of proof that an offence had been committed.

“We will share our outcomes with organisations and individuals involved to improve fire safety in residential buildings locally. This will reduce the likelihood of an incident like this happening again.

“Our thoughts remain with the family of those who died and were seriously hurt in this fire”.

 

 

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.