Emergency Services issue warning after candle causes Burslem house fire


Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service has issued a warning to the public after a candle caused a house fire in Burslem last week (February 1).

Crews from Hanley and Sandyford were called to High Lane at 7.08pm after reports of a fire in a first floor bedroom.

A fire investigation found that the blaze had been caused by a candle, which had been left too close to a television and some clothing.

Residents are now being reminded to be careful when using candles.

Group Manager, Ian Housley, said: “Fortunately this property had working smoke alarms and the family were alerted to the fire early on which meant we were called at the earliest opportunity.

“Although there is significant damage to the bedroom where the fire started, the smoke alarms and the fact the internal doors were closed, prevented it from being far worse.

“Thankfully in this case no one was hurt but this incident serves as a stark reminder not to leave lit candles anywhere near flammable items and to always keep them in an appropriate holder.”

(Photograph provided by Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service)


About Author

Comments are closed.