Longton man rescued after candles spark house blaze

0

A man had to be rescued from his garage roof as fire ripped through his Stoke-on-Trent home.

The householder clambered out of his bedroom window to escape the blaze on Corby Place in Longton.

Fire crews say the blaze was started by candles that were left lit on a mantelpiece and set fire to Christmas decorations.

The man was woken by fire alarms at around 2am.

Fire chiefs say he is lucky to be alive and sent a warning to anyone using candles in their home.

Station manager Brian Griffiths: “This highlights the dangers of using candles particularly at this time of year.

“There have been a number of similar incidents involving candles throughout the county and we encourage people to try and not use them at all if possible.

“If you do use candles make sure they are in a proper holder and away from materials that may catch fire.

“All candles should be fully extinguished before leaving the room, especially when you are going to bed at night.

“This gentleman was extremely lucky to escape the fire uninjured. If it wasn’t for the smoke alarms that operated, he may never have got out of the property alive.”

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.