High winds have been blamed on the incident which happened at a student house on Carlton Road, Shelton – close to Staffordshire University’s College Road campus.
The chimney crumbled and sent a pile of bricks onto a Silver Fiat Punto parked nearby. No one was injured in the accident.
Builders fixing a kitchen at a nearby property heard the crash.
Julius Benjamin, 23, a psychology student and owner of the car, was woken up to find his vehicle badly damaged.
He said: “The landlord was going to get quotes for repairs from a few garages. Unfortunately, my car was in the wrong place at the wrong time.”
Julius’ housemate Jordy Lundula, 19, an accounting and business student, added: “It was lucky no one was walking past at that precise moment because of the amount of bricks that dropped.”
A spokesman for Stoke Property Shop, which manages the property, told StaffsLive: “No one was hurt and the landlord is sorting out the repairs.”
A similar incident involving a chimney also happened at a property on Cotesheath Street, in Hanley, with slates and bricks falling off the roof.
Stoke-On-Trent City Council said it received eight reports over the weekend about roofing problems in Hanley, Tunstall and Fenton.
Residents with concerns can call 01782 234234 during office hours, or emergency services at other times.
(Additional reporting by Nicole White)