A Leek family had a lucky escape after a mirror caused a fire in their home.
Four people escaped the blaze at a house in Cromwell Terrace after bedroom curtains were set alight when a magnified mirror reflected sunlight onto them.
The family were alerted to the flames by a smoke alarm and fire station manager Carl Mason admitted they were crucial to preventing damage to the home of injury to the family.
“The fire hadn’t had chance to spread too far as the property had working smoke alarms so the family were alerted to the incident quickly,” he said.
“The cause of the fire is a little bizarre but not unheard of. It spread to nearby bedding and furniture however firefighters extinguished it before it could do much serious damage.
“The important thing here is that the smoke alarms were working and gave the occupants an early warning which allowed them to escape safely.
“This is an unpredictable type of incident but by making sure they had working smoke alarms this family escaped harm and their home is also relatively unscathed.”