By Jodi Law: Firefighters have rescued a man from his flat in Newcastle-under-Lyme after he fell asleep while cooking.
Crews from Newcastle and Hanley were called to the property on Greenside Street at 3.25am yesterday (October 30), after a neighbour heard a smoke alarm going off.
Station manager Mark Wilson said: “The flat was heavily smoke-logged with fumes from burnt cooking but there was no visible fire so firefighters took the man outside and ventilated the flat.
“Luckily the smoke alarms alerted one of the other residents of the flats to the incident and the man was safely rescued.
“This incident highlights the importance of having working smoke alarms however the situation could have been avoided.
“We urge people not to cook late at night as it only takes you closing your eyes for a few seconds and before you know it, you’re asleep.”
The man was treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics, but didn’t require hospital treatment.
Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service recently revealed that 52 per cent of house fires in the region are caused by cooking.